The Chocolate House, Penzance, Holiday Cottage
Welcome to The Chocolate House, a high quality holiday cottage situated in the heart of the conservation area in Penzance, West Cornwall.
The cottage is in Chapel Street, the oldest street in the town, and only a stone’s throw from the harbour.
About The Chocolate House
Many of the buildings in Chapel Street date from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, and the cottage itself is an eighteenth century grade 2 listed building. It is listed by the Department for Environment as a building of both special architectural and historic interest.
It was built as a fisherman’s cottage in the early 1700s, and would originally have been thatched. It was occupied by fishermen, mariners and their families until the mid-nineteenth century. It was then used for a variety of purposes including a confectioner’s shop and a post office.
It eventually became a shop selling hand-made chocolates with a café and tearoom, and at that time was called The Chocolate House. The rococo-style ornate fascia has made the cottage a landmark building in the town. It is much photographed by visitors to the area and makes a romantic retreat for a holiday break.
The Penzance climate, being on the Cornish Riviera, is mild and this makes it a good all-year holiday destination. Situated on the eastern edge of the Gulf Stream, the winter temperatures are amongst the warmest in England and similar to those of Nice and Naples. The town enjoys around 1500 hours of sunshine every year, and the quality of light is unsurpassed. This has attracted artists to the area since the nineteenth century.
- Sleeps up to 4
- 2 double bedrooms with ensuite cloakrooms
- 1 single bed in upstairs sitting room
- 18th Century cottage with lots of character
- Bedding, bed linen and towels provided
- Inclusive of all electricity and heating
- Bathroom with full bath and large shower
- Underfloor heating downstairs and gas central heating above
- Very well-equipped kitchen
- Free wifi Internet access provided for guests
- Satellite high definition TV
- Roof terrace with sea and harbour glimpses
- Private off-street parking within 25 meters
- Saturday changeovers
- Short breaks of 3 or more nights from October to March
- Exposed beams, granite walls, window seats and shutters
- Many bistros, boutiques and ancient pubs within 100 meters